You have the best interest of your patients at heart. More than that, you have their trust. Your recommendation is the most effective way to ensure they get their flu shot. Patients are more likely to get the flu shot when their provider recommends it —including those who had initial doubts.
When talking with your patients:
• Make a strong recommendation to your patients to get their flu shot. Research shows that patients are more likely to get a flu shot if their doctor recommends it.
• You can use the SHARE method to provide information:
- SHARE reasons to get the flu shot based on their age or other risk factors.
- HIGHLIGHT positive experiences with the flu shot to reinforce benefits.
- ADDRESS concerns about the vaccine, including effectiveness, side effects, safety and misconceptions. Patients are less likely to push back than you may think.
- REMIND patients that the flu shot not only protects them but also everyone around them.
- EXPLAIN that getting the flu can mean taking sick days from work or missing fun with family and friends.
Follow-up is important! If your patient did not get the flu shot during their visit, there’s a chance they didn’t get it at all. Talk to your patients about where and when they’ll get their flu shot, and make a note to confirm during their next visit.
If they still have not gotten their shot, talk with them again about any questions or concerns — and be sure to repeat your strong recommendation. Most people know the flu shot is important. They may just need your reminder!
Flu Prevention Is a Win-Win
- There are many advantages to promoting flu prevention:
- Healthier patients
- Decreased severity of illness for those who do get sick
- Reduced community spread
- More satisfied patients to help you achieve your practice’s quality goals
- And you may earn financial incentives based on your contract.
We’ve Got Your Back
You have a key role to play in recommending your patients get the flu shot, and Fidelis Care is here to help. Our Flu Prevention Campaign encourages people to get their flu shot so please share our flyers with your patients.
Remember, you can help stop the flu! Strongly recommend to all of your patients to get their annual flu shot.
Fidelis Care is here to support you and your practice. If you have any questions about flu prevention, patient education tools or incentives, click here or call us at (888) 343-3547.
For general questions about COVID-19, visit cdc.gov. For Fidelis Care COVID-19 resources, visit https://www.fideliscare.org or call us at (888) 343-3547.