Medicare is the federal health insurance program for people age 65 or older, certain younger people with disabilities, and people with End-Stage Renal Disease (permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or a transplant, sometimes called ESRD).
Fidelis Care strives to help Medicare members better manage their Original Medicare and Medicare Part D benefits, and offers top-quality programs and services that meet their unique health care needs.
Who Can Get Medicare?
You are eligible for Medicare at age 65 or older, if:
- You are a U.S. citizen, or a permanent legal resident.
- You have lived in the United States for at least five years.
- You or your spouse has worked long enough to be eligible for Social Security or railroad retirement benefits, even if they are not yet receiving these benefits, OR
- You or your spouse is a government employee or retiree who has not paid into Social Security but has paid Medicare payroll taxes while working.
Qualifying for Medicare Before Age 65
If not yet 65, you might qualify for Medicare:
- If you qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and have been receiving SSDI checks for at least 24 months. For more information, contact your local Social Security Office.
- You have End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD), otherwise known as kidney failure.
- You are dual eligible (qualify for both Medicare and Medicaid) due to certain health conditions and income.
The ABCs (and Part Ds) of Medicare
Medicare coverage is divided into four categories: